Monday, December 27, 2021

2021 Year In Review



We purchased this little 20 Acre Homestead in the Fall of 2020 and in the 12+ months we have lived here, I have managed to do everything I know NOT to do when freshly starting out.. or in my case restarting the journey again of being a small homesteader/hobby farmerette. 

 


Immediately bought chicks, they died after 2 barn cats from the previous owners were left, discovered their chicken nugget goodness. Had only the intentions of purchasing a mini donkey, but said seller wasn't going to separate the  mini donkey from the unbroken young filly, and then on pick up day they tossed in 2 free very pregnant pot bellied pigs.. which we lost all but 1 piglet to one of our dogs. Brought home our Great Pyrenees pup to discover he is not full bred, he has a small percent of husky which shows in his hyperness. 

 


Bought my first Jersey calf who was on deaths door and spent my days and nights doing round the clock care to keep him alive.. Which he did live and he is like one giant DOG.. who I think believes he is the family pet. 

Helped a fellow family out with purchasing their 3 horses with special needs.. bought 2 piglets with the goal of keeping one to be the family sow and the other for Freezer Food.. We had a horrible infestation of mosquitos and bugs this past Summer so we invested in Ducks and a Goose.. Only to discover the Hatchery sent me a Embden Goose and not the Buff Goose I initially paid for.  Rehomed two of the horses as it was becoming overwhelming for me to care for 3 special needs on top of 2 kids under 2 with the baby still struggling to sleep through the night. Throw in the fact that I have been pretty disappointed in the lack of work ethic around the place with 3 of the growing man childs. 

 

Dont get me started on the few biggies that took place with the home during our first year here... lets see if I can sum it up. Cold, Ice, Freezing Rain no water even after things thaw... = having to tear up the ceramic tile in the Laundry/Pantry room because the folks previous failed to put in a hatch/ access door to the pipes leading to washing machine.. when doing renovations.. and discovered there had been a leak  happening for a long time given the amount of water damage and rotting wood, with not having a crawl space it made the fixing a bit interesting.




 Yep I literally managed to spend more money and reap less all due to my over zealous behavior to Get It All and Get It All Now.. ugg.. in that I have learned once again some valuable insight from my mistakes. I started restructure,re home and take a little break.  I told my husband no more Lawn Ornaments. I sold the mini donkey and the filly together, sold the goats, and rehomed 2 of the special needs horses. We managed to butcher our Cornish Cross hens that I kept procrastinating on, and canceled at the time what was to have been a shipment of egg laying chicks. I am vowing among my frustrations with myself that I neededto get a grip on what was really important at this time and refocus on the long term goal.. not the short term wants. 

Starting with sleep..


No comments:

Post a Comment